Thieves used a stolen mercedes to ram an SUV and steal $20,000 from the bewildered driver in a bold robbery on the Upper East Side on Saturday, police said.
In a dramatic scene that looked like something from the movie Fast and Furious, the black Mercedes plowed into the silver Toyota Rav4 while tires squeaked and stunned pedestrians leaped to safety.
Videos taken by pedestrians show the Mercedes deliberately struck the Rav4 at about 4:40 p.m. on Second Avenue near 91st Street.
The 55-year-old driving the Rav4 was driving northbound in a northbound traffic lane on Second Avenue near 91st Street at about 4:40 p.m. when the Mercedes struck it. Video that has been spreading on social media shows the Mercedes flying up the street to reach the Toyota, then plowing its side, sending the SUV spinning around at the intersection.
The video shows the Mercedes again ramming the Rav 4 and pinning it in place while the robbers jump out and attempt to gain access to the vehicle.
An armed man wearing a grey sweatshirt and black pants is seen jumping from the Mercedes and slamming into the passenger-side window of the Rav4 with a gun.
The man then appears to make his way toward the drivers side of the Toyota, then hops back in the Mercedes carrying the bag and making off, video shows. The suspect made off with $20,000 in cash, according to law enforcement sources.
They were still at large Saturday evening.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- Thieves ram car into SUV in wild $20K heist on Upper East Side New York Post
- Police: Man crashed into SUV to rob man at gunpoint in Manhattan Eyewitness News ABC7NY
- Manhattan Car Chase Ends in Savage Crash, Armed Cash Grab: Police NBC New York
- Wild NYC car chase ends on Upper East Side blocks from Gracie Mansion with armed robbery, thieves on the loose — VIDEO New York Daily News
- Suspect sought in crash, robbery on Upper East Side CBS New York