Indiana Rep. Jackie Walorski and two staffers killed in car crash – NBC News
A car crash on Wednesday afternoon in Elkhart County, Indiana killed Republican Indiana Rep. Jackie Walorski, Zachery Potts, 27, and Emma Thomson, 28, as well as the sole occupant of the northbound vehicle, Edith Schmucker, 56.
Walorski’s office said that two of the others killed in the crash were on her staff. They added that the two were “dedicated members of her staff” who cared deeply about their work.
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy confirmed Walorski’s death in a tweet, saying she was a dear friend, trusted advisor, and the embodiment of integrity.
News of the death of Indiana representative Jackie Walorski in a car accident shocked Capitol Hill on Wednesday. Lawmakers and officials across the aisle expressed condolences upon news of Walorski’s passing.
The flags at the Capitol were flown at half-staff in honor of Walorski and her staffers, and the White House also flew the flags at half-staff on Wednesday and Thursday.
President Joe Biden offered his condolences to the family of Congresswoman Dana Walorski, saying that she was respected by members of both parties.
Jackie Walorski, a former Indiana state lawmaker, was well-liked by her Republican and Democratic colleagues in the House, where she was close to McCarthy and his leadership team. She was set to be chairman of the House Ethics Committee if Republicans won the majority in November.
For more information on this story, please consider the news outlets listed below to stay in the know.
- Indiana Rep. Jackie Walorski and two staffers killed in car crash NBC News
- Indiana GOP Congresswoman Jackie Walorski killed in car crash Fox News
- White House flags fly at half-staff in honor of Indiana Republican The Hill
- Congresswoman Jackie Walorski killed in car crash FOX59 News
- Indiana Republican Rep. Jackie Walorski dies in car accident that also killed 2 staffers CNN
- View Full Coverage on Google News