Florida teen in critical condition after losing part of leg in shark attack
A Florida teen lost part of her leg in a shark attack and is in critical condition after being bit by a large great white shark. Wading in 5-foot waters with members of her family when the shark attacked.
The teen’s brother fought off the shark and pulled his sister into a nearby boat, according to the family. The teen was severely injured when the shark attacked her. She was airlifted to a hospital 80 miles away.
The shark attack happened at a beach in Taylor County, Florida. The Taylor County Sheriff’s Office advised swimmers to exercise caution in the wake of the incident.
Florida is the most common place for sharks to be present in shallow water and to attack swimmers. There are roughly 73 shark attacks per year. Of those, more than 40% occur in Florida.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- Florida teen in critical condition after losing part of leg in shark attack New York Post
- Girl seriously injured in shark attack at Florida beach msnNOW
- Florida shark attack leaves teen with ‘serious injuries’ Fox News
- Girl, 15, seriously injured after being attacked by shark in 5ft-deep water in Florida Daily Mail
- Shark attack: Florida girl loses leg, second incident in US in just over week AL.com