An accused mass shooter who wounded ten people on a crowded subway train in Brooklyn told his lawyers last week that he would like to plead guilty to all charges against him, including terrorism.
The attorneys for Frank James, 63, wrote Wednesday that he plans to plead guilty the first week of January. No explanation was given for why he’s choosing to admit guilt.
James has been held in a Brooklyn federal jail since his arrest in the April 12 attack. The attack set off a massive 30-hour manhunt that ended when the gunman called the police.
A shooter set off two smoke grenades before scattering a barrage of shots inside the train, injuring passengers.
As chaos erupted, James slipped onto another train and escaped. However, he left behind the gun, ammunition clips, a hatchet, gasoline, and the key to a rented van. Using that key and surveillance cameras in the subway system, authorities were able to identify James, who was dressed in construction worker’s clothing and a yellow hard hat.
James, who is Black, posted dozens of videos online concerning race, violence, and mental illness before the shooting. The videos depicted threats of gun violence that he made.
Earlier this week, James was charged with 10 counts of staging a terrorist attack on a transportation system.
Just a day after his defense team requested an adjournment of the trial, James’ lawyers disclosed that he intended to plead guilty. In light of the revised indictment, the lawyers said extra time was needed to review evidence.
Prosecutors opposed delaying the trial, insisting that gunshot victims deserved justice without unreasonable delay.