Police said the victims were 17 and 15, and investigators had not announced a suspect by Sunday evening.
INKSTER, MI — Two teenage boys were killed in a shooting early Sunday on Penn Street in Inkster, where police said officers found one wounded victim seeking help and later discovered a second victim nearby after following a blood trail through the block.
The deaths pushed police and state investigators into a double homicide inquiry in western Wayne County. By Sunday evening, authorities had released only a narrow outline of what happened: a call came in just before 5 a.m., one victim was taken to a hospital and died there, the other was found dead at the scene, and a firearm was recovered nearby. Police said there was no immediate threat to the public, but they had not publicly identified a suspect, described a motive or explained what led to the gunfire.
Police said the first call reached officers around 4:50 or 5 a.m. Sunday, April 12, sending them to the 26000 block of Penn Street near Meadowdale Avenue. There, officers found a 17-year-old boy with a gunshot wound after a report that a male victim was looking for help. First responders began lifesaving efforts before emergency crews took him to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead. As officers worked the scene, investigators traced what police described as a blood trail along the same block. That search led them to a backyard, where authorities said they recovered a firearm. Near that area, police found a second victim, a 15-year-old boy, who was pronounced dead at the scene.
Even with two victims and a weapon recovered, major parts of the case remained unanswered Sunday. Police had not released the names of either teenager, and authorities did not say whether the boys knew each other, whether both were shot in the same place, or whether either was believed to have been the intended target. Officers also did not say how many shots were fired, whether anyone had been taken into custody, or whether investigators believed more than one person was involved. Inkster police said only that the circumstances were still under investigation. CBS Detroit reported that officers were responding to a report of a shot male when they arrived, while other Detroit outlets described the first victim as seeking help when police reached the block. Those accounts fit the same broad sequence, but officials had not yet filled in the minutes before police got there.
The scene was centered in a residential part of Inkster, a small city in Wayne County west of Detroit and near Detroit Metropolitan Airport. Cases like this often depend on the first few hours of canvassing, including video collection, witness interviews and the tracing of movements before and after gunfire. In this case, officials said Michigan State Police joined Inkster officers in the search and follow-up investigation, a sign that local authorities were bringing in added help as they worked to piece together the sequence of events. What was public Sunday was limited but important: investigators had a physical scene stretching across part of the block, a recovered firearm and at least some path of movement marked by blood. What was not public was just as important, including whether police believe the shooting happened outdoors, inside a nearby home, or across more than one location on Penn Street.
Authorities also outlined the next formal steps. Inkster police and Michigan State Police said they were continuing to investigate the shooting as a double homicide and asked the public for information. ClickOnDetroit reported that police directed tips to Detective T. Parker of the Inkster Police Department and Detective Sgt. Cobb of the Michigan State Police. As of Sunday afternoon and evening, police had not announced arrests, criminal charges or a planned court appearance tied to the case. They also had not said whether autopsies had been completed or when the Wayne County Medical Examiner might formally confirm the causes and manners of death. Those findings, along with any ballistics testing on the recovered firearm, are likely to shape the next round of investigative decisions. For now, the official record remained at an early stage: two dead teenagers, one recovered weapon and a search for whoever was responsible.
In one of the few direct public statements released Sunday, the Inkster Police Department said it was “deeply saddened” by the loss of the two young victims and offered condolences to their families. The department said it remained committed to holding those responsible accountable. That language underscored both the human toll and the limits of what officials were ready to say publicly on the first day of the investigation. In neighborhood shootings, police often begin with only fragments: the time of the 911 call, the location of victims, shell casings or firearms, and the first interviews with residents who may have heard shots or seen people running. By late Sunday, there was still no public account from relatives, neighbors or witnesses describing what they saw before officers arrived. What the public had instead was a brief but stark outline of violence that left two boys dead before sunrise.
By late Sunday, the case stood as an active double homicide investigation with no suspect publicly named. The next milestones are likely to be updated police briefings, identification of the victims and any charging decision if investigators develop a suspect in the days ahead.
Author note: Last updated April 13, 2026.