South Carolina man dies after lighting firework on top of his head to show off

SUMMERVILLE, SC – A South Carolina man lost his life on Independence Day after a firework he placed on his head exploded, authorities reported.

Allen Ray McGrew, 41, ignited a large firework device atop his head at around 10:20 p.m. on Thursday in a neighborhood street, according to the Dorchester County Sheriff’s Office. The explosion caused severe head injuries, leading to McGrew’s immediate death at the scene.

Witnesses and officials stated that McGrew had been attempting to “show off” during a block party when the incident occurred. His wife informed deputies that McGrew had been drinking for several hours before deciding to light the firework. Despite her pleas for him to stop, the firework detonated, and McGrew collapsed.

Independence Day was noted as McGrew’s favorite holiday, adding a somber note to the tragic event. The firework involved in the accident was confirmed to be legal, according to reports.

This incident underscores the dangers associated with fireworks, especially when combined with alcohol consumption. Authorities continue to urge the public to exercise caution and follow safety guidelines during celebrations involving fireworks.