The Ocala Police Department is currently investigating a shooting that occurred on New Year’s day in Marion County, Florida, which resulted in the deaths of two individuals and left four others injured.
The incident occurred in the early hours of New Year’s Day on SW 5th Street, where a large crowd of approximately a hundred people had gathered. As a result of the shooting, two men lost their lives, while four others were injured.
Police said four others shot from a shooting during a New Year’s Eve gathering in Ocala, were taken to “an undisclosed location” and were listed in stable condition after being medically treated. The police identified 30-year-old Davonta Harris and 24-year-old Abdul Hakeem Van Croskey as the two men killed.
“Detectives are investigating the crime and are working diligently to determine the facts behind the fatal shooting and are actively working on leads,” police said.
“This tragic event has left many devastated and mourning. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by this terrible act.”
In a statement, officials from the Ocala Police Department stated that based on preliminary findings, they do not believe there is an ongoing threat to the community.
The investigation into the shooting is still ongoing and no suspects have been arrested at this time. However, the police are continuing to pursue leads and work to identify those responsible for the crime.
— Ocala Police (@ocalapd) January 1, 2023
The Ocala PD insisted that although they do not currently have any new leads, they will continue their investigation and make every effort to identify and hold accountable those responsible for the crime.
The police have announced that a cash reward will be offered to anyone who provides a tip to the local Crime Stoppers that leads to an arrest in connection with the shooting.
They are encouraging members of the public to come forward with any tips or information they may have about the incident by calling Crime Stoppers of Marion County at **TIPS or 352-369-7000.
“Together, we can hold those responsible for this crime accountable for their actions and work towards a safer community,” it wrote in its release.
Other incidents on New Year’s Eve
Despite precautions, the New Year’s Eve celebrations were marred by violence. There were several other public shooting incidents on New Year’s Eve that impacted multiple victims.
In addition to the shooting in Ocala, there was also one in Mobile, Alabama, that left one person dead and nine others injured, and another in Oklahoma City, which resulted in one death and three injuries.
On New Year’s Eve in Mobile, Alabama, a shooting left one person dead and nine others injured. The incident occurred in the 200 block of Dauphin Street, just a few blocks away from the New Year’s Eve celebrations, at around 11:14 p.m. CT.
When officers arrived at the scene, they discovered that a 24-year-old man had been shot and pronounced dead. Nine other people were also found to have been shot and were taken to hospitals for treatment.
The suspect is now in custody and will be charged with murder once they have received medical treatment and are transported to Metro Jail.
Meanwhile, on New Year’s Eve festivities in Oklahoma City, a man was reported dead after a shooting erupted in a parking lot in the downtown area. At least three other people were injured and were taken to hospitals. Police said they are still investigating and looking for a potential suspect.
Nobody is in custody at the time, and the police said they do not have any information regarding the suspect yet. Police are still searching for the suspect and encourage people to submit a tip if there is any information to Crime Stoppers or call (405)235-7300.