Jacksonville Beach police hunting shooters that left multiple people killed and wounded

JACKSONVILLE BEACH, FL – A series of unrelated shootings on Sunday evening in Jacksonville Beach has left one person dead and at least three others wounded. Authorities are currently on the hunt for multiple suspects believed to be involved in the incidents.

In a press briefing held on Monday morning, Jacksonville Beach Police Chief Gene Paul Smith revealed that several suspected shooters are still at large. He described the series of events as highly chaotic and confirmed that they are investigating three separate shootings.

The first of the shootings took place around 7:50 p.m. on the 400 block of the boardwalk, just east of a Best Western hotel. Officers had been alerted earlier about a possible gathering of teenagers under the pier. Upon arrival, they found a large group of late teens engaged in boxing matches and fights. As the officers were trying to disperse the crowd, shots were fired.

A witness who managed to record a video during the shooting reported hearing approximately 15 to 20 gunshots. The scene quickly descended into chaos as people started to scatter in all directions.

According to Smith, two suspects ended up shooting each other, and an innocent bystander was also hit. The bystander and one of the suspects were rushed to a hospital, while the second suspect, a certified gang member, reported himself to the hospital. All three are currently in serious condition.

The second shooting incident occurred near the Ritz bar in the downtown area at around 8:13 p.m. A suspect brandished a pistol and fired a single shot. Although no one was injured, the suspect managed to escape during a foot chase with the police.

The third and final shooting took place behind Sneakers bar at approximately 8:31 p.m. A 21-year-old Black male was killed in the incident. Three armed suspects, all Black males, drew their firearms, but only one fired shots. The suspects are still on the loose.

In response to the shootings, the city requested residents to shelter in place. The order was lifted at 10:54 p.m. as police continued their work at the shooting scenes.

No police officers discharged their weapons during any of the incidents, and no arrests have been made as the investigations continue.

Shell casings from various pistols and rifles were discovered at the three shooting scenes. Smith confirmed that two firearms used in the shootings have been recovered.