NYC doctor Ricardo Cruciani, who sexually abused patients, hangs himself in Rikers Island jail (EXCLUSIVE) – New York Daily News
A once-prominent neurologist killed himself Monday at a New York City jail, two people familiar with the matter said. His lawyer called for an investigation into the circumstances of his death, including whether jail officials complied with a court order to place him in protective custody.
Cruciani died while awaiting sentencing in a New York state case in which he was convicted of 12 counts, including predatory sexual assault, rape and sex abuse. He also faced trial on federal charges accusing him of abusing multiple patients over 15 years at his offices in New York City, Philadelphia and Hopewell, New Jersey.
The city’s Department of Correction confirmed an inmate’s death at the Eric M. Taylor Center, but did not release his name pending family notification. The cause of death is under investigation. The former neurosurgeon was found dead in the shower area of a jail facility in New York City two weeks after being found guilty of sexual offenses against six patients.
A jury convicted Cruciani of 12 counts, including rape and criminal sexual acts. He was acquitted of two other counts, and Dr. Ricardo Cruciani admitted groping women at a Philadelphia clinic.
He was arrested more than four years ago after at least 17 patients came forward to accuse him of misconduct. During his trial, prosecutors described him as “evil in a white coat” and told jurors he could have used his highly intelligent ways for good instead of bad.
For additional updates on this story, check out the news outlets listed below to stay in the know.
- NYC doctor Ricardo Cruciani, who sexually abused patients, hangs himself in Rikers Island jail (EXCLUSIVE) New York Daily News
- Ricardo Cruciani found dead in Rikers Island shower after conviction for sexually assaulting patients Fox News
- Doctor who sexually abused patients kills himself in jail The Associated Press – en Español
- Convicted rapist NY doctor Ricardo Cruciani ID’d as Rikers Island inmate who killed self: sources New York Post
- Neurologist who sexually assaulted patients in 3 states found dead in jail, report says NJ.com
- View Full Coverage on Google News