Body camera video shows a Columbus, Ohio, police officer fatally shooting an unarmed 20-year-old Black man – CNN
Community organizations have asked for a transparent investigation into the shooting death of Donovan Lewis, 20, by Columbus police. Police body-cam footage shows Lewis being shot while holding a vape pen.
Lewis was fatally shot after Columbus police went to his apartment to attempt to arrest him on multiple warrants. Police had spent between 8 and 10 minutes attempting to get someone to open the door.
The police body camera video shows Anderson firing a single shot at a man, later identified as Lewis, moments after opening the bedroom door. Lewis was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 3:19 a.m.
Attorneys for the officer expressed sympathy for Lewis’ family, but said police officers “are forced to make split-second decisions in response to the actions of others” and that the law allows reasonable officers to be mistaken.
Elliott, the family’s attorney, called Lewis’ death “utterly senseless” and asked how many more lives would be lost before “our leaders do enough to put a stop to these barbaric killings?”
The family of Donovan Lewis said they were grieving and asked for peaceful support. They said they would get justice for Donovan.
To learn more about this story, please consider the news outlets listed below to stay in the know.
- Body camera video shows a Columbus, Ohio, police officer fatally shooting an unarmed 20-year-old Black man CNN
- Ohio police fatally shoot unarmed Black man in bed during failed arrest attempt, video shows Yahoo! Voices
- Ohio officer kills 20-year-old Black man seconds after opening his bedroom door The Guardian US
- Religious leaders call for transparency, trust in fatal shooting by CPD officer NBC4 WCMH-TV
- Body-Cam Captures Columbus Cops Killing Unarmed Man in Bed The Daily Beast
- View Full Coverage on Google News