Matthew McConaughey tells the story of those killed in Uvalde in an emotional plea for action on guns – CNN
McConaughey and his wife Camila Alves spent most of the past week with the families of the 19 children and two teachers killed at Robb Elementary School last month. They showed pictures of their artwork and brought green Converse shoes that were used to identify one girl’s body.
McConaughey called for background checks, a waiting period for purchasing AR-15s and red flag laws, saying they were practical and tactical measures to protect society and the Second Amendment.
McConaughey spoke in great detail about the children and their dreams before they were killed. He said counselors are going to be needed in Uvalde for a long time.
“You know what every one of these parents wanted, what they asked us for? What every parent separately expressed in their own way to Camila and me? That they want their children‘s dreams to live on. That they want their children‘s dreams to continue, to accomplish something after they are gone. They want to make their loss of life matter,”
McConaughey said that lawmakers should “get some real courage” and “honor our immortal obligations” instead of “counterpunching” the other side. He added that America is not as divided as it is being told.
McConaughey told reporters on Capitol Hill he hoped he was making progress in his meetings with lawmakers. The President met with Democratic Sen. Chris Murphy of Connecticut on Tuesday and spoke about the outlines of the ongoing gun reform negotiations.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- Matthew McConaughey tells the story of those killed in Uvalde in emotional plea for action on guns CNN
- Gun control rallies amid shootings across the country and other top stories | LiveNOW from FOX LiveNOW from FOX
- Watch Matthew McConaughey Remarks At White House Press Briefing NBC News
- McConaughey on Texas school shooting: We need gun laws that make it harder for the ‘bad guys’ KXAN.com
- Matthew McConaughey pleads for responsible gun ownership in emotional White House press briefing Fox News
- View Full Coverage on Google News