Mother Seeks Answers in Chicago Shooting Death of 5-Month-Old Baby – NBC Chicago
Cecelia Thomas was shot in the head while sitting in the backseat of a vehicle on the evening of June 24, according to police.
The 5-month old Cecelia was shot in the head on the South Side, and a 41-year-old man was shot in the eye. Both were taken to the hospital, and the baby girl died at the hospital.
Police are still looking for the shooter, who may have been driving a red Chrysler. A community activist is offering a reward for information leading to the arrest of the shooter.
The baby’s mother Juanita Harris made a public plea for whoever shot her daughter to come forward and do the right thing and turn themselves in.
As Chicago sets records for violent crime this is yet another very sad low. As this is the youngest ever victim of gun violence in Chicago.
Ms. Harris is understandably upset over the lack of action and accountability in the south side neighborhood where the shooting happened.
Donovan Price, a victims advocate, said “there are no people marching, or religious folks showing up, because this didn’t happen in the right neighborhood or fit the right profile”.
Police don’t have any suspects yet. They are asking the public to come forward with any available information.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- Mother Seeks Answers in Chicago Shooting Death of 5-Month-Old Baby NBC Chicago
- Chicago shooting: Mother speaks out after baby, Cecelia Thomas, shot in head, killed in South Shore drive-by – WLS-TV
- 5-month-old girl killed in Chicago drive-by shooting – New York Post
- Chicago 5-month-old baby girl dies after being shot in the head: ‘A disgrace’ –Fox News
- Gunman on the loose after 5-month-old girl killed sitting in car in Chicago – ABC News