Woman dies in random knife attack at Louisiana Tech University

RUSTON, LA – A woman has tragically lost her life in what officials describe as a random knife assault at a north Louisiana college campus on Tuesday. The identified victim, Annie Richardson, was declared dead at a hospital in Shreveport.

Two other women hospitalized due to the attack remain in the hospital, with one in critical condition and the other likely to be discharged on Wednesday. A fourth woman escaped the incident unscathed, needing no medical attention.

The horrifying event took place on Monday morning outside a recreation center on the Louisiana Tech University campus. The suspect, Jacoby Johnson, a senior at the university, was promptly apprehended following the assault. He faces charges of second-degree murder and three counts of attempted second-degree murder. As of now, there is no information on whether Johnson has legal representation.

The attack had Debby Hollimon of Ruston, grazed by the perpetrator’s weapon as she tried intervening to protect another woman. She recalled the attacker calmly walking away after slashing her face with the knife, showing no emotion.

Three non-student women, participants in an exercise class at the center, were the victims of this attack. Authorities have named graduate student Dominique McKane and non-student Cynthia Woodard as the other victims. It remains unclear which woman is in critical condition.

The unexpected assault sent shockwaves through the more than 11,000 students at the university and the residents of Ruston, a small city in north-central Louisiana. Tech student Abhi Chadha reported to KNOE-TV that the incident was devastating as they had always perceived the campus as a safe place.

Louisiana Tech President Les Guice issued a statement ensuring that the university would persist in making safety a priority. Students are being offered counseling in both individual and group settings.

Responding to inquiries on Tuesday, the university maintained that Louisiana Tech has consistently been a safe campus. The tragic incident was an isolated act of random violence. Significantly enhancing security on campus and providing suitable mental health resources remain key to ensuring the safest environment for their students, faculty, and staff,” remarked Tom Soto, the interim director of Tech’s communications division.

Tech police received the attack’s notification at 9:08 a.m., and the suspect was reported in custody roughly four minutes later.