Iran to send hundreds of drones to Russia for use in Ukraine, U.S. says – The Washington Post.
The White House says that Iran is supplying Russia with hundreds of drones for the war in Ukraine and that Iran is preparing to begin training Russian forces to use them as soon as late July.
“Information indicates that the Iranian government is preparing to provide Russia with up to several hundred (unmanned aerial vehicles), including weapons-capable UAVs, on an expedited timeline,” national security adviser Jake Sullivan told reporters at the White House press briefing on Monday.
Sullivan argued that news of Iran supplying the drones is evidence that Russia‘s attacks against Ukraine in recent weeks are coming at the “severe” cost of depleting its weapons. Drones have been a critical component of the war in Ukraine on both sides.
The US is under increasing pressure to devise a viable plan to constrain Iran, as hopes for reviving the 2015 nuclear deal have faded following stalled talks in Doha, Qatar, last month.
The US has provided Ukraine with small kamikaze drones called Switchblades. The US has also been weighing whether to provide Ukraine with larger drones that can be armed with Hellfire missiles. Of course, this has come at a significant cost to taxpayers.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- Iran to send hundreds of drones to Russia for use in Ukraine, U.S. says . The Washington Post
- Iran preparing to send ‘several hundred’ drones to Russia, Sullivan says POLITICO
- White House says Iran preparing to provide drones to Russia as war in Ukraine continues Yahoo News
- Iran sends armed drones to Russia, White House believes WTHR
- White House says Iran is preparing to supply Russia with weapons-capable drones CNN
- View Full Coverage on Google News