Michigan man facing murder charges after running over his wife while drunk

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – A Michigan resident is facing a bond of $1 million following accusations of fatally hitting his wife with his car while under the influence of alcohol. The incident reportedly transpired after a quarrel on Friday evening, as reported by the local authorities.

The suspect, identified as 58-year-old Mark Lazon Casterman by the Mason County Sheriff’s Office in Michigan, has been arraigned and charged with several offenses. These include murder, operating a vehicle while intoxicated resulting in death, driving with a suspended or revoked license leading to death, and driving under the influence.

The fatal event unfolded on Freeman Road in Free Soil Township. Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to the scene around 11:15 a.m. on September 15. Upon their arrival, they discovered the lifeless body of a 45-year-old Grand Rapids woman, later identified as Melissa Sue Casterman.

The deceased woman’s husband, Mark Casterman, was arrested at the scene. In the following days, an intensive investigation was carried out, which involved collecting evidence from the crash site, the vehicle involved, and the victim herself. The investigation also included the analysis of tire marks and local security camera footage.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, the investigation led them to believe that Melissa Casterman was driving south on US 31 near Freeman Road when an altercation with her husband, who was in the passenger seat, ensued. Melissa reportedly pulled the car over, exited the vehicle, and began walking southbound along the northbound shoulder. It is alleged that Mark then took over the driving and drove past his wife twice before making a U-turn, accelerating, and hitting her.

Melissa was pronounced dead at the scene. During his court appearance, Mark Casterman was ordered to be held on a $1 million cash bond.

Sheriff Kim C. Cole expressed his grief over the incident, stating, “Although I am heartbroken that such an event could play out in our community and done so publicly for innocent citizens to witness, I am grateful to our investigators. They worked tirelessly throughout the weekend putting this case together and did so with the commitment to finding the truth and seeking justice for the victim.”