Police arrest Florida man accused of shooting at homeless family sleeping in car – NBC News
A man shot a family sleeping in their car last week, injuring a pregnant woman. The suspect, Christopher Stamat Jr., 21, is facing six felony charge. This includes four counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
The shooting occurred in a parking lot across from the Martin Luther King Jr. Recreation Complex in the Old West Tampa neighborhood. The mother, who is pregnant, was struck in the head and transported to a local hospital for non-life-threatening injuries, police said.
Police identified Stamat by tracing his car through surveillance footage from the scene, and found his car the day after the shooting in the garage of his girlfriend’s home. They found an empty gun box and empty shell casings matching those found at the scene of the crime.
Police said Stamat did not give them a motive for the shooting, but believed he was being stalked and followed. There is no indication of any connection between Stamat and the victims.
Police arrested Stamat earlier in the day for felony marijuana possession, and later that afternoon for the shooting charge. The victim is doing fine, the children are in Florida with family, and the attacker is off the street.
For more information on this story, check out the news outlets that are listed below to stay in the know.
- Police arrest Florida man accused of shooting at homeless family sleeping in car NBC News
- Suspect in ‘monstrous’ attack on sleeping family showed signs of paranoia, Tampa police chief says WFLA News Channel 8
- Florida man arrested after homeless family of 5 shot at while sleeping in car, pregnant mom struck in head Fox News
- Pregnant mother shot while with family still in hospital, Tampa police chief says WFLA
- Florida man accused of shooting at homeless family, striking pregnant woman in head FOX 13 Tampa Bay