The US not interested in ‘Cold War’ with China, plans to increase direct communication: Blinken – Fox News
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken outlined the Biden administration’s strategy towards China, saying that the United States will invest in its strength at home, align with its allies, and compete with China to defend its interests.
Blinken said China’s defense of Russia’s war in Ukraine should raise alarm bells for all who call the Indo-Pacific region home, and emphasized the importance of focusing on the Chinese government’s threats to the world.
Blinken described China’s “repressive” government, unfair trade practices and human rights abuses, but stressed that the US does not seek conflict with China or a new Cold War. He said the US and China can work together on climate change and Covid-19.
Blinken said diplomacy is vital at times like these to make clear profound concerns, understand each other’s perspectives, and have no doubt about each other’s intentions.
Blinken said the State Department would build a “China House” to coordinate and implement policy across issues and regions, and that the United States would also shape the strategic environment around Beijing to advance its vision for an open and inclusive international system.
The top US diplomat stressed that the US does support Taiwan independence and that Beijing is trying to cut off Taiwan’s relations with countries around the world. At the same time we seek peaceful co-existence with the Chinese main land.
The top US diplomat in Taiwan said that the Chinese government’s words and actions risk miscalculation and threaten the peace and stability of the Taiwan Strait. He also emphasized the importance of ensuring that the people of China are not mistreated.
For more on this story, consider these sources:
- US not interested in ‘Cold War’ with China, plans to increase direct communication: Blinken Fox News
- U.S. Aims to Constrain China by Shaping Its Environment, Blinken Says The New York Times
- Blinken says US is ready to strengthen diplomacy with China in ‘charged moment for the world’ CNN
- Blinken: US to leverage Russia-Ukraine bloc against China The Associated Press
- Blinken Warns of Chinese Dominance in Long-Delayed Speech Bloomberg
- View Full Coverage on Google News