Hospital attacked by gunman

A security officer lost his life and another individual was injured in a shooting incident that took place at Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Center in Portland on Saturday. The incident led to a subsequent confrontation in Gresham, where the suspect was fatally shot by the police. The security officer who was killed was identified as Bobby Smallwood, 44. The other victim, a hospital employee, is currently in stable condition, as reported by Legacy Health.

The shooting incident triggered a city-wide police response, leading to the lockdown of the hospital for several hours. The surrounding urban area, bustling with shops and restaurants, was also affected. The incident even necessitated an emergency evacuation of a nearby Fred Meyer store. The police responded to the incident just before 11 a.m., closing off streets around the hospital while they searched for the suspect, who was believed to have left the building after firing shots on the hospital’s fifth floor.

The suspect was later located in Gresham around 1 p.m. Saturday, where numerous police vehicles converged on Northeast 181st Avenue near Glisan Street. The suspect’s vehicle, a white-and-maroon van, was stopped outside of a U.S. Bank on 181st by Portland police from East Precinct and Gresham officers. Tactical armored vehicles and Multnomah County sheriff’s deputies arrived shortly after. Witnesses reported a standoff between the police and the suspect, followed by three to four gunshots.

By 4:30 p.m., Portland police spokesperson Sgt. Kevin Allen confirmed that the suspect had been fatally shot by the police outside the bank. The suspect had been identified while driving the van, and the police had waited for backup before attempting a traffic stop. The suspect reportedly did not cooperate and was shot by three Portland police officers.

The initial emergency call was made by Good Sam security at 10:55 a.m., reporting that a visitor had verbally threatened hospital staff. Upon arrival, the police were informed that shots had been fired. The shooting took place on the fifth floor, where the birthing center is located. The wounded security officer, Smallwood, was transferred to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center, a Level 1 Trauma Center, where he succumbed to his injuries despite lifesaving efforts.

The investigation into the police shooting in Gresham is being carried out by the East County Major Crimes Team. An internal review of the shooting will also be conducted by the Portland police. Northeast 181st Avenue was expected to remain closed for several hours between East Burnside Street and Northeast Glisan Street.