A Boston subway train caught fire on a bridge Thursday morning, causing chaos as commuters escaped through windows and one straphanger resorted to jumping into the river below.
Wild video taken from inside the train showed passengers climbing through the windows of the train and fleeing onto the tracks. Footage from the tracks also shows passengers-turned-good Samaritans catching one another as they jumped out the windows with smoke billowing around them.
“An unidentified female passenger jumped off the bridge into the river,” Somerville Fire Chief Charles Breen told the Boston Globe. “Our marine boat happened to be in the river for training and was on scene immediately.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- Woman jumps into river, riders evacuate through windows after Orange Line train goes up in flames Boston 25 News
- Video shows passengers trying to escape Orange Line train fire CBS Boston
- Woman leaps into river after Boston subway train bursts into flames New York Post
- Orange Line train passenger jumps off bridge into Mystic River after train catches fire in Somerville WCVB Boston
- Orange Line train catches fire on bridge. Chaos ensues. It’s the latest T nightmare. The Boston Globe