Teen Hospitalized After Shock From Park Light Pole

The boy’s family says a Little League coach performed CPR before firefighters arrived.

HOUSTON, TX — A 14-year-old boy was hospitalized after officials said he touched an energized light pole Tuesday evening at F.M. Law Park in southeast Houston and went into cardiac arrest.

The incident has raised questions about maintenance and safety at a city-owned park used by families and youth baseball teams. The boy, identified by relatives as Angel Galeas, remained hospitalized at Texas Children’s Hospital as city officials said they were investigating what happened and whether repairs were needed.

Houston firefighters said the emergency happened around 7 p.m. Tuesday at F.M. Law Park along Vasser Road. Galeas was playing at the park when he touched the pole, according to officials and family members. His older brother, Joseph Vasquez, said a Little League coach quickly began CPR before first responders arrived. Emergency crews continued life-saving efforts at the scene and took the teen to a hospital. “He’s lucky to be alive,” Vasquez said, describing his brother as stable after the shock.

Galeas’ mother, Mary Hernandez, said her son was recovering in the intensive care unit and had heart issues and memory loss after the incident. She said she wanted the city to explain how a light pole in a public park became energized. “I just want answers from the city,” Hernandez said. “Why? I could have lost my son over a light pole.” Fire officials said the park’s circuit breaker was shut off after the emergency, leaving the light pole no longer energized. The city owns and operates F.M. Law Park.

The case expanded Friday when another family said a 9-year-old boy had been shocked by the same light pole weeks earlier during baseball practice. Attorney Kim Bruno, who represents that family, said the earlier incident happened in early April while the child was waiting near the pole. Bruno said a coach pulled the boy away after he was shocked and that the child was treated at a hospital for several hours before being released. City officials said they had no record of earlier reports involving F.M. Law Park before the most recent incident.

Mayor John Whitmire said the city was investigating the matter and would provide an update after gathering accurate information. A spokesperson for the mayor’s office later said a maintenance crew was sent to assess the area and handle any repairs found during the review. Houston City Council Member Carolyn Evans-Shabazz, who represents the area, said she had spoken with city administration and said officials were taking the matter seriously. She said public safety was the immediate priority while investigators worked to determine the facts.

Parents who use the park said the incident shook a place where children gather for games, practices and neighborhood play. The emergency happened near the ball fields, where coaches, relatives and players were present. Family members credited the coach’s response with helping Galeas survive until firefighters arrived. Hernandez said the injury left her family shaken and worried about how long the pole may have posed a danger. Bruno said the second family came forward after seeing reports about Galeas because they believed the earlier shock involved the same location.

No charges had been announced as of Saturday, and officials had not released a final cause for the electrical problem. The city’s review, any maintenance findings and Galeas’ medical recovery remain the next key developments in the case.

Author note: Last updated May 23, 2026.