Dead body of young woman found hanging from tree at high school

A shocking incident unfolded at Travis Early College High School in South Austin, Texas, as the lifeless body of a young woman was found hanging from a tree on Thursday morning. The discovery sent shockwaves through the school community, leading administrators to cancel classes for the day. The authorities are currently investigating the incident, and the victim’s identity and cause of death are yet to be determined.

The distressing find was made by staff members just before 8 a.m. on what would have been the fourth day of the school year. Austin Independent School District Police Chief Wayne Sneed addressed the media during a press conference, revealing that the police and emergency medical services responded promptly to the scene. The body of a female believed to be between 15-20 years old was found hanging from a tree near the rear of the school building. Tragically, she was pronounced dead at approximately 7:55 a.m.

To ensure the well-being of the students, the district made the decision to cancel classes at around 8:30 a.m. Most students were either on their way to school or were already present for extracurricular activities. Fortunately, the crime scene was located towards the rear side of the campus, near a staff parking lot, shielding the students from witnessing the distressing scene. Chief Sneed emphasized that none of the students were in the vicinity of the crime scene, and the staff acted swiftly to secure the area. That way, they could prevent any exposure to the students.

The district’s statement reassured students and staff that they were not in danger and that the campus remained safe. However, it remains unclear whether the deceased individual was a student at Travis Early College High School. The incident occurred just days after the start of the 2023-2024 school year, adding to the shock and confusion surrounding the tragic event. The district has pledged ongoing support for both the staff and students affected by this distressing incident.

As the investigation into this heartbreaking incident continues, authorities are working diligently to gather more information. The school district spokesperson has indicated that additional details will be released in due course.