China Mine Blast Kills 82 As Safety Probe Widens

Two workers remained missing after the gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province.

BEIJING, CN — A gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China killed 82 workers, injured 128 others and left two missing, local officials said after revising an earlier death toll from one of the country’s worst mining disasters in years.

The blast at the Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, Shanxi province, has put renewed pressure on mine operators and regulators in China’s coal belt. Officials said 247 workers were underground when the explosion hit Friday evening. Rescue crews, medical teams and investigators remained focused on finding the missing, treating the injured and determining whether safety rules were ignored before the disaster.

The explosion occurred at 7:29 p.m. Friday at the mine in Changzhi, a city in one of China’s most important coal-producing regions. Early reports listed at least 90 dead, but authorities later lowered the toll to 82, saying confusion after the blast and poor worker tracking by the operator led to a miscount. Chinese President Xi Jinping called for “all-out” rescue and medical efforts and ordered a full investigation. Premier Li Qiang also called for clear accountability, state media reported. Officials said 35 workers escaped or were found unharmed, while many of the injured suffered from toxic gas exposure.

Emergency teams faced dangerous conditions underground after the explosion. Rescuers dealt with smoke, toxic gases and water inside parts of the mine, while damaged or inaccurate mine drawings slowed the search. Local officials said hundreds of emergency workers were sent to the site, including mine rescue teams, medical staff and safety experts. The cause of the explosion remained under investigation, but officials said preliminary findings pointed to serious legal violations by the mine operator. They did not give a full public list of the suspected violations. Several people tied to the company were taken into custody as investigators secured records and questioned managers.

The Liushenyu mine is operated by Shanxi Tongzhou Group Liushenyu Coal Industry, which is linked to Shanxi Tongzhou Coal Coking Group. The mine had an annual production capacity of about 1.2 million tons and had been described as having high gas levels, a known hazard in underground coal mining. Safety records cited by Chinese outlets showed the mine had been flagged before for risk concerns. After the blast, the company stopped operations across its mines. Shanxi officials also announced wider safety inspections, with attention on gas drainage, ventilation, monitoring systems and emergency planning.

The disaster is the deadliest coal mine accident reported in China since 2009, when more than 100 miners died in a mine blast in Heilongjiang province. China has reduced mine deaths over the past two decades through closures of small pits, stronger inspections and tighter production rules. Fatal accidents still occur, especially in areas where coal remains central to local jobs and power supply. Shanxi is a major source of the country’s coal, and the province’s mines help feed China’s steel plants, factories and power stations. That role makes safety failures at large mines a national concern.

Authorities said the State Council sent an investigation team to Shanxi to examine the blast, review the operator’s safety practices and determine responsibility. Local officials said the probe would look at management decisions, underground monitoring, emergency response and whether the mine had accurate records of workers below ground. No formal charges were announced by Sunday, but officials said people responsible would be held accountable. Hospitals continued treating injured miners, including workers exposed to carbon monoxide and other gases. Some injured workers had been discharged, while others remained under observation or in serious condition.

Images released by state media showed rescue workers near ambulances, medical staff treating injured miners and crews preparing to enter the mine. Survivors described a sudden burst of smoke and a strong smell underground before workers tried to flee. One miner told Chinese media that visibility fell quickly and breathing became difficult. Families gathered near hospitals and official offices for information as rescue teams continued work at the site. Local officials said the priority remained the two missing workers, the injured miners and the investigation into what failed before the blast.

The mine remained closed Sunday as rescue and recovery work continued in Qinyuan county. Officials had not announced a date for the full investigation report, but safety inspections across Shanxi’s coal sector were underway after the May 22 explosion.

Author note: Last updated May 24, 2026.